Gaiman's "Endless Nights"

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Nov 12 07:25:46 EST 2003

widdy wrote happily

>On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 06:02  PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>> Speaking of reading books to people: Neil Gaiman was doing a signing in
>> Bristol this evening, and he says he reads to his daughter Maddy (she
>> must
>> now be ten, I think) every night he's at home, and much of what he
>> reads to
>> her is DWJ's work.  He handed DWJ the newish *Sandman* collection over
>> tea
>> and told her that she was certain to know that one of them had been
>> written
>> while he was reading *Dogsbody* to Maddy, so he thought he'd tell her
>> first!
>
>Oh! That makes such perfect sense! hee hee. (I'm assuming it's the
>first one with all the personified stars).

I couldn't begin to guess, I don't get to read it until she has!  I haven't
got a copy of my own.  (Sorrow...)  I'm looking forward to it because he
says he enjoyed writing those stories; they were apparently "an indulgence"
because he "didn't have anything to prove".  Which left me wondering, what
on earth was he feeling he had to prove with the rest of Sandman?  He must
have *known* he was doing good work, I would have thought.

>I love that these two love each other's work so much. It makes my
>enjoyment of both of them that much greater!

They like each other as people too, which is great.  Mutual admiration and
liking is a lovely thing to watch: one comes away feeling somehow that the
world is a better place than one had thought it, when two such people can
enjoy each other's company and bounce ideas to and fro and generally have a
happy time.

Oh, and if you're a fan of Miracleman, I *think* that Neil and Mark
Buckingham went off to supper together after the signing talking about how
to go about getting that happening again, which will be rather fine if it
comes off.  :-)))

Minnow