reading aloud/writing aloud

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Nov 12 07:25:48 EST 2003

Sallyo answered my speculation:

>> Maybe reading aloud to oneself if one doesn't have a child the right age
>> to be read to would work.  Or at least moving one's lips while reading.
>
>I read to my son until he was 15 or so. My daughter wasn't a fan of being
>read to. However, I do find reading aloud a great way to discover and
>slaughter unnatural syntax. I recommend it to lots of my writing assessees.

You are a good person and are helping to save the world from poor writing!
Once one is in practice one can do it in one's head, but it's ever so much
easier aloud.

Aloud, one also notices if one has fallen into verse-rhythms by accident,
the way I did in that last sentence!  Eeek.  Has anyone else on the list
found that if they read Shakespeare for any length of time, particularly
aloud, they start to talk in iambic pentameter?  It begins to feel to me
like the natural way to speak after a bit of that stimulus, and I have to
make a conscious effort to get out of it again.

Minnow