Pooh! (was Re: Re: Witch week)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Nov 11 13:29:54 EST 2003

minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Deborah explained:

>>"dissing" == "disrespecting", more or less.  Close enough to
>>"dismissing", for the purposes of this conversation.
>

> I'm afraid that's an imprecision I'm not happy with.  I'd definitely draw a
> distinction between "dismissing" and "dissing".  Suppose I used the phrase
> "That opinion can be dismissed."  I don't think that if I put "dissed"
> there instead of "dismissed" it would mean the same thing at all.  The one
> would mean that we can put the opinion to one side and pay no attention to
> it, which is negative, an inaction; the other, that we can be disrespectful
> of the opinion, which is a positive action.  (Well, it's a negative act,
> but it is positively an action.)
>
> To ignore is not necessarily to disparage, and to disparage is not
> necessarily to ignore.
>
> Or so I would judge.  Maybe it's another example of US/UK english.

I wouldn't equate 'dissing' with 'dismissing' either.  [For one thing,
I wouldn't use 'dissing' at all.  Although I'm not denying its validity
as a word -- my PC muscles would never let me -- it's not in a
vernacular that I feel comfortable using, being a European-American
who worked for many years in a predominantly African-American office.]