dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #744

Tue Nov 11 11:25:22 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:37:23 +1300, Sarah wrote:

>> Every name double I've located via googling appears to have been born a
>> Melissa Proffitt (usually with a married name attached) whereas I
>> appear to
>> be the only one who was foolish enough to marry into it.  :)  I think
>> there
>> are a few with the last name spelled differently (Profit or Profitt or
>> Proffit) but none of us have done anything really remarkable.  *sigh*

>There there... if you and your husband have a baby, you'll have made a
>100% Proffitt.
>(runs and hides before the pun detonates)

Har har, that is so humorous I have never heard anything like it.  :)

Living in Utah, we also get homophone-puns from people who think it is funny
that we are Prophets.  (The LDS Church, for those who don't know, is led by
a man we revere as a prophet.)  One day a couple of sweet young female
Mormon missionaries knocked on my door; they are not given lists, so they
never know if someone already belongs to our church or not.  They were both
Taiwanese and were completely floored when I introduced myself as Sister
Proffitt.  In retrospect, I wonder if they thought I was mocking them....

And we have in fact made more than a 100% Proffitt in our four children.
Pity we can't get that kind of return on our investments.

Melissa Proffitt