Pooh! (was Re: Re: Witch week)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Nov 11 04:36:01 EST 2003

>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, deborah wrote:
>
>>  What's the oldest reading-level book people have had read aloud?  Any
>>  DWJ?  Some of the storiews in Warlock at the Wheel would be hysterical
>>  read-alouds... But I doubt that's where her strength lies.

I read Deep Secret to both girls (as well as most of the 'lower
reading-level' DWJs) to both girls (not really an answer to the have
read to you question), and it was wonderful.  Not all of them worked
as well for us as read-alouds, and I've no idea what the difference
between the books might be.  Also read lots of Connie Willis and
Patricia McKillip, among other 'adult' books.

>I do, however, like reading aloud (and always wanted to be called on to
>read out loud in school. I'm not at all a skilled actress, but I'm quite
>good at doing cold readings), and three summers ago I read _Emma_ to my
>mother. That worked so well that last summer I read her _Persuasion_,
>which was a much, much worse choice. Never read _Persuasion_ out loud if
>you can help it. While I adore the book, there's something about the
>sentence length and structure that makes it really hard to phrase properly
>and intelligibly.

  I read _Persuasion_ to my mother while she was in hospital for heart
surgery and it was a huge success.  She loved it, I loved reading it,
and all her friends expressed jealousy. ;-)

Hallie.