Pooh! (was Re: Re: Witch week)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Nov 11 00:38:34 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, deborah wrote:

> What's the oldest reading-level book people have had read aloud?  Any
> DWJ?  Some of the storiews in Warlock at the Wheel would be hysterical
> read-alouds... But I doubt that's where her strength lies.

For some reason, I really hate being read to. I think my parents haven't
read to me (beyond the almost-always-when-I'm-reading-something-else "this
is funny; may I read you a bit?") since elementary school.

I do, however, like reading aloud (and always wanted to be called on to
read out loud in school. I'm not at all a skilled actress, but I'm quite
good at doing cold readings), and three summers ago I read _Emma_ to my
mother. That worked so well that last summer I read her _Persuasion_,
which was a much, much worse choice. Never read _Persuasion_ out loud if
you can help it. While I adore the book, there's something about the
sentence length and structure that makes it really hard to phrase properly
and intelligibly.