dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #741

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Nov 10 23:51:48 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Sarah wrote:

> > Aimee and I are currently introducing The Princess Bride to a friend.
> > We just passed the "Farm-boy, fetch me that pitcher" scene at which
> > point Aimee, to the bewilderment of the others in the room, shouted
> > out "HOWL!". So how about Cary Elwes?
> >
> > Kathleen
>
> Yes please! This being my automatic reaction to lovely, lovely Cary
> Elwes. But perhaps he is too pretty? I've been thinking increasingly
> that Guy Pearce might be the right fellow.

The true problem with casting Cary Elwes as Howl is that, according to one
of the special features on my Princess Bride DVD, Cary Elwes is now a
perfectly pleasant-looking yet perfectly ordinary-looking man in his
forties. He *sounds* the same, and yet he doesn't look the same. He looks
like his own more ordinary brother.

I agree, though, that Howl shouldn't be pretty. He should be so charming
that he's sexy, which is different.