Pooh! (was Re: Re: Witch week)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon Nov 10 22:47:06 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

|Deborah explained:
|
|>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
|>|(I'm not sure that "dismissing" is the word: wasn't it
|>|"dissing", which is a different thing altogether?)
|>
|>"dissing" == "disrespecting", more or less.  Close enough to
|>"dismissing", for the purposes of this conversation.
|
|I'm afraid that's an imprecision I'm not happy with.  I'd definitely draw a
|distinction between "dismissing" and "dissing".  Suppose I used the phrase
|"That opinion can be dismissed."  I don't think that if I put "dissed"
|there instead of "dismissed" it would mean the same thing at all.  The one
|would mean that we can put the opinion to one side and pay no attention to
|it, which is negative, an inaction; the other, that we can be disrespectful
|of the opinion, which is a positive action.  (Well, it's a negative act,
|but it is positively an action.)

As I said, I think it's close enough for the purposes of this
conversation.  That is, in this particular case, I felt theory was being
dismissed out of disrespect.  The comparison doesn't work in general, I
agree.  But you don't have to agree with me.  ;)

-deborah
--
"I assume that some great catastrophe has occured that would
require us to sit upon a weeping lady?"