dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #744

Sarah sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz
Mon Nov 10 21:37:23 EST 2003

> Do you feel that Kipling would not be more widely read and studied had
> he not been so comprehensively vilified and misunderstood?

I don't really have an opinion about Kipling. I've only read the Just
So Stories (in childhood) and am not acquainted with the criticism of
his work. What I meant was that since most people first read a Diana
Wynne Jones book in childhood, these are not readers whose decisions
are likely to be affected by works of academic or literary criticism.
So in short... pass.

> Minnow:
> Because someone whose work one likes is accused (not yet found guilty)
> of
> something reprehensible, that doesn't mean one needs to feel squirmy.
> As I
> said before, let's wait to feel squirmy until we find out whether this
> is
> true.

By 'squirmy' I meant 'unsettled and worried about what this could
mean,' not 'guilty by association' or 'quick, I must disavow my
affiliation to this person.' Squirmy in uncertainty, as we must be
uncertain until evidence is presented. Note that I said *if* it's true.
Anyway, there is no need for me to feel squirmy as I have no particular
emotional investment in what happens, except that of course I hope to
see a just outcome.

> Kyra: ObDWJ: Of course, Lola has the advantage of being much easier to
> say than
> Osfameron Tanamoril Clennenson or Marina Semprosia Timosa Mallory (and
> I'm sure I don't remmber that correctly).  And I can't even begin to
remember Dagner's full name ;-).

Dastgandlen Handagner, I think, which sounds to me like Popeye swearing
*^.^*
Oh, and I just remembered, my sister (Kate Dove) has the same name as
an actress who used to be in 'Emmerdale.'

> I have to admit that although there's lots of Emmas in my generation,
> I always have this feeling
> that I'm the *real* Emma, and everyone else is using my name :)

In New Zealand 'Sarah' was an overwhelmingly popular name for girls
born around 1977-1980. I was once in a class with six Sarahs. I think
my name is pretty and I'm very fond of its meaning... but I do wish it
weren't so wretchedly commonplace. Having an unusual surname is some
compensation but did tend to get me *mocked* in primary school. It was
worse for my sister. Her best friend for a while was named Danielle
Eagle, so the bird jokes fairly flew.
Ha-ha.

> Every name double I've located via googling appears to have been born a
> Melissa Proffitt (usually with a married name attached) whereas I
> appear to
> be the only one who was foolish enough to marry into it.  :)  I think
> there
> are a few with the last name spelled differently (Profit or Profitt or
> Proffit) but none of us have done anything really remarkable.  *sigh*
>
> Melissa Proffitt

There there... if you and your husband have a baby, you'll have made a
100% Proffitt.
(runs and hides before the pun detonates)

> There's also Margaret Atwood's latest - Oryx and Crake. She denies it
> is
> anything like SF, but everyone else thinks it fits the genre. No one is
> denying her literary-ness.
>
> Robyn

In the interview I read (well, skimmed) she said it was *speculative*
fiction.
'Speculative fiction' seems to be what one calls science fiction when
one doesn't want to be automatically dismissed as writing pulp for
geeks.

> I'm afraid that's an imprecision I'm not happy with.  I'd definitely
> draw a
> distinction between "dismissing" and "dissing".  Suppose I used the
> phrase
> "That opinion can be dismissed."  I don't think that if I put "dissed"
> there instead of "dismissed" it would mean the same thing at all.  The
> one
> would mean that we can put the opinion to one side and pay no
> attention to
> it, which is negative, an inaction; the other, that we can be
> disrespectful
> of the opinion, which is a positive action.  (Well, it's a negative
> act,
> but it is positively an action.)
>
> To ignore is not necessarily to disparage, and to disparage is not
> necessarily to ignore.
>
> Or so I would judge.  Maybe it's another example of US/UK english.
>
> Minnow

I would agree with Minnow here. It's like how a lot of people use
'despise' when they should use 'detest.' Both 'dismiss' and 'despise'
imply that you don't need to get worked up about this thing, whatever
it is; it is beneath you or not worth considering. There is some
detachment. Dissing or detesting it is much more emotional and hostile.
And dissing is *rude*, while dismissing is more sort of... aloof.
I wonder where 'pooh-poohing' fits on this scale.

> http://us.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0309912/M-
> 9177.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Hunn
> am,%20Charlie
>
> Try this one on for size. From the upcoming Nicholas Nickleby.
> Otherwise, this picture is known as Howl wooing 'Lettie' as Michael and
> Sophie look on in the background. Search around and see what you
> think. I
> haven't seen this guy's acting yet though.
> Aimee.

That verges on the uncanny.
Well, except that it looks like summer in that picture and 'Howl' is
set in springtime.
*picks* Look, a nit! *^.^*

E you later,
Déesse
(the artist formerly known as Sarah-neko)

http://www.airandangels.com/
Air and Angels Anime Shrines