Pooh! (was Re: Re: Witch week)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Nov 10 19:26:35 EST 2003

Deborah explained:

>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>|(I'm not sure that "dismissing" is the word: wasn't it
>|"dissing", which is a different thing altogether?)
>
>"dissing" == "disrespecting", more or less.  Close enough to
>"dismissing", for the purposes of this conversation.

I'm afraid that's an imprecision I'm not happy with.  I'd definitely draw a
distinction between "dismissing" and "dissing".  Suppose I used the phrase
"That opinion can be dismissed."  I don't think that if I put "dissed"
there instead of "dismissed" it would mean the same thing at all.  The one
would mean that we can put the opinion to one side and pay no attention to
it, which is negative, an inaction; the other, that we can be disrespectful
of the opinion, which is a positive action.  (Well, it's a negative act,
but it is positively an action.)

To ignore is not necessarily to disparage, and to disparage is not
necessarily to ignore.

Or so I would judge.  Maybe it's another example of US/UK english.

Minnow