Name doubles

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Nov 10 17:14:06 EST 2003

There are some distinct advantages to having a surname that was entirely
made up by one's great-grandfather (he evidently felt that "Jucovy"
sounded more "American" than "Jacobsky").  One doesn't even need the rare
Slavic first name that, as far as I can tell, is far more frequently
spelled with an "i" than a "y."  Google vanity searches _always_
invariably work.  It's very cool.

On the other hand, my middle name is Lili, and I now have both a
stepcousin and a cousin's daughter (with different surnames, though) named
Lili.  My cousin's other daughter is named Lola, which strikes me as
unfortunate on several levels.  I think that Lili and Lola just don't work
together, and then there's the fact that my parents and I are huge Kinks
fans and thus would never name a daughter Lola in the first place.

ObDWJ: Of course, Lola has the advantage of being much easier to say than
Osfameron Tanamoril Clennenson or Marina Semprosia Timosa Mallory (and
I'm sure I don't remmber that correctly).  And I can't even begin to
remember Dagner's full name ;-).

						---Kyra

---
"Inspirations have I none - just to touch the flaming dove."
				---David Bowie, "Soul Love"