dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #742

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Nov 10 17:12:12 EST 2003

Roger asked:

>On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:47:09AM +1300, Sarah wrote:
>
>>The remark about suppressing the lot is what's unfair. It's not
>>as if it's going to lose her readers! Let the little postmodernists and
>>deconstructionists have their fun. Her books will still be what they
>>are, for anyone to read and witness the truth thereof.
>
>Do you feel that Kipling would not be more widely read and studied had
>he not been so comprehensively vilified and misunderstood?

I feel that had he not been so comprehensively vilified and misunderstood
Kipling would have been be more widely read and studied.

Or rather, I feel that had he not been so comprehensively identified with
an unfashionable collection of attitudes, some of which he did and some of
which he did not actually subscribe to, Kipling would have been be more
widely read and studied.

I wish you'd phrased that question so I could simply say "yes" or "no"....

Minnow