dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #741

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 10 13:31:52 EST 2003

> Why can it not "logically" be read as a metaphor for homosexuality? It
> seems to me that a case has been made, and  your (Sarah's) arguments add to
> the validity of that case.

Well, logically, it's an allegory for anything that people are afraid of.
Theoretically, all the kids books out there about witchcraft persecution
could be read as metaphors for homosexuality, communism, atheism, or any
other 'non-normative' thing. In fact, as a child of the 70's with a
mentally ill parent, i find that songs and stories about coming out (such
as Etheridge's 'Silent Legacy') mirror some of the aspect of living with
mental illness in the family.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn