Witch week

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon Nov 10 13:15:05 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk wrote:

|Deborah:
|>Though the Pooh Perplex is troubling in other ways. The implication of
|>PP and its recent sequel is that trying to find deep meanings in
|>children's lit is silly. Which we all agree, it isn't.
|
|I agree with Hallie's and Roger's replies to this vis-a-vis the PP (and
|sequel) as being primarily a parody the monomania of some critics,
|rather than a scoffing at Winnie the Pooh.

I guess I wasn't clear about what I meant.  I agree that what the two
volumes themselves get across is a parody of certain types of critics
and criticism, not to be concept of parody in Pooh.  But the end result
-- at least, from the perspective of the reader who has never considered
applying literary criticism techniques to a book such as Pooh -- is that
the volume works for most readers because the reader can accept as a
given that the entire project of critiquing Pooh is ludicrous.  Of
course, I'm making that assertion without any evidence -- nobody I know
would dare express such opinion to me.  ;)

|But I'm sure it's also surely
|true that Crews' choice of Pooh was a considered one, and it's hard to
|believe that its being a book for children wasn't a factor in that
|choice.
|So - it's not that children's
|literature is automatically risible as a category for critical analysis,
|more something about Pooh itself. As to what, I'm not sure I'd be able
|to say! Something to do with Milne's voice, perhaps, and the comic
|philosophizing of his characters, which renders those critics who take
|them seriously equally comic.

True, although there are interesting things to be said about Pooh from a
literary criticism perspective, even though the Pooh Perplex clearly
doesn't say them.  I don't mean to undermine how funny the books are --
they're hilarious.  It's just always annoying to have my field
denigrated.  I have no objection to the parody of fatuous literary
criticism -- goodness only knows there is plenty out there.  What
worries me is the more unspoken part of how the books work -- the "this
is a good giggle, as we all know how silly the concept even is, right?"

Or I'm being oversensitive, and you can all laugh at me.  This is
entirely possible.  Even likely!

-deborah
--
You klingon bastard, you killed my son.  You klingon bastard, you killed my
son.  You ... Klingon ... bastard ... you ...