Witch week

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 10 12:20:26 EST 2003

>Er, do you really think that's the implication?  I've only read the
>sequel, _Postmodern Pooh_, but wouldn't have thought that was the point at
>all.  If pushed, I'd have said it was to explain, while lampooning (or
>perhaps to lampoon, while explaining!), major figures in recent literary
>criticism.  None of the ones I recognised had gone near children's lit,
>but were being sent up for their own style of writing or behaviour in
>their own fields.  If anything, many of them might think children's lit
>was 'beneath' them, which makes them all the more worthy of
>parody!  ;-)  (Stephen Greenblatt is one of these figures, and he's my new
>lit crit hero, so I'm not dismissing literary critics or anything.)

Greenblattis hardly cutting edge postmodern: his school of criticism - new
historicism - is in some ways a reaction to the more po mo extremes of
deconstruction. I'm not knocking Greenblatt, I use his ideas all the time,
and I think they are very useful for medieval and early modern lit.

I am so irritated by that paragraph Deborah quoted from the magazine I
could spit. I can't even complain about it coherently at the moment.

Robyn