Disturbing news story

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Nov 9 14:53:47 EST 2003

Otter Perry wrote:
>Ven wrote:
>> I came across a short news item in the Guardian
>> to say that William Mayne had been charged with
>> the rape of a girl under thirteen. I'm aghast.
>>
>> Here is a link to a fuller version The Scotsman:
>>
>> http://www.news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2149594
>
>Oh, dear.  This is _really_ upsetting.  I'm a big
>fan of Mr. Mayne's.

I think I'll wait until he goes back to court in the
new year and we find out a little more about why,
suddenly, after thirty years, eight people have
decided (presumably in their late forties) that they
have a cause against him that cries out for either
justice or vengeance, before I assume that
accusation equates with guilt.  Until then I shall
regard him as innocent until proven guilty.

Minnow