Witch week

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Nov 9 03:54:16 EST 2003

Deborah
> Still, going back to my own snark about students and Po3, trying to
> reduce a DWJ novel to The Metaphor, with or without Political
> Implications, would make me a Very Silly Person with Too Many
> Capitalised Words.
>
> AG is a metaphor for the power of electricity
> HMC is a metaphor for poor body image
> C&Cwidder is a metaphor for the recording industry.

On the same theme, I recently read an analysis (not *entirely* serious) of
*Green Eggs and Ham* as a text about acknowledging one's repressed
homosexual desires. The eponymous meal was of course representative of the
male genitalia, 'eaten' with surprised delight at the end of the book.
Though the writer also detected more than a hint of bestiality in places:
("Would you, could you, with a goat?"). And so on...

Btw, I recommend *The Pooh Perplex* as an antidote to excessive
metaphoricalness.

Charlie