Witch week

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 02:06:12 EST 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
, being young and idealistic.... I invented
> the "10% of people
> in London are gay" figure for the benefit of the
> Press back in the very
> early seventies, possibly even as early as 1969, on
> a pro-homosexual
> rights demo *before* the one Peter Tatchell claims
> as the first, which
> was the first *Gay Pride* march in July 1972. I'm
> always amused that
> this figure of 10%, which I took straight off the
> top of my head simply
> because it sounded easy for the idiot reporters who
> were hassling me to
> remember, has been being quoted ever since: as far
> as I know it has no
> basis in fact of any kind.

There was an international survey published recently
that iirc gave a figure of 17% for Australia, I don't
think it was "gay" as sexual orientation, but rather
had had a gay sexual experience, or desire, or
something. I also recall being a bit dubious about the
way the data was collected. I'll see if I can look it
up. I know that Australia scored 2nd in the world and
the US was first. I have seen the 10% figure bandied
about on occasions, now I know who to blame. If I ever
need to use it I can quote a source. :)

Jon