OT: L. M. Montgomery

Sat Nov 8 18:41:44 EST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 22:53:22 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>> >I thought it was a little too much to make Jarback both physically
>> >disfigured and emotionally unstable.
>
>Well, but physical disfigurement does sometimes have that effect on a
>person's mental or emotional processes.  It seemed reasonable to me.

Sometimes it does, but not always, and the fact that he was the "villain"
seemed to me along the lines of beautiful things being good, and twisted and
ugly things being evil.  There are people who are *not* physically
disfigured who are similarly warped in mind or soul.  It seemed that
Jarback's condition was symbolic of who he was inside, which is why I
thought it was too much.  But I was also half-expecting him to be the hero,
based on Emily's first perceptions of him, so some of that was
disappointment in who he really turned out to be.

Melissa Proffitt