bits of dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #734

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Nov 6 20:35:11 EST 2003

> Pet peeve; using an adjective as a noun (also using
> the noun designer as an adjective to quote Rik Mayal
> from TV last night)

I do know that it's a peeve, Jon, but it is in common use and is sanctioned
by the Macquarie Dictionary (def. 3). I suspect it sprang up to
differentiate between "aborigine" which means "native of some place or
other" (cf  "staring at Tamzin as if she were anaked aborigine" Monica
Edwards, "Cargo of Horses"..) and the specific Australian people.

Sallyo.