Teen witches

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 6 16:53:38 EST 2003

> > Because there isn't much out there on wicca before Ravenwolf's Teen Witch
> > popularized wicca; but witchcraft (as opposed to fantasy magic) shows up a
> > lot in teen books. Like _The Active Enzyme Lemon-Freshened Junior High
> > School Witch_, and then there's _Enter Three Witches_ (which is definitely
> > a hoot), and so forth...
>
> Well, I haven't read either of those (loved the first title, though!), but
> from what you say I guess they're not going to be very Wiccan. *Teen Witch*
> came out in 1989, right? Or so the Library of Congress tells me.

Oh. Do you mean 'teen witch' the movie, or Teen Witch, the wiccan handbook
by Silver Ravenwolf? the wiccan book came out in 1998.

> Five years
> after *The Changeover* - which I'd nevertheless say is a book permeated with
> Wiccan ideas both general and specific - though perhaps wrongly (I'm hardly
> an expert). And not a black fingernail in sight - there can't be anything
> too goth about a book where the heroine wears a one-size-too-small school
> dress and the hero rides a Vespa!

Enter Three Witches (in which the hero, an ordinary guy, is plagued by a
mom, a grandmother, and a tenant who are all different varieties of
witch...) came out in 1990. The mom is more or less wiccan.

The heroine of Active Enzyme, etc. is not wiccan... she's into the older
witchcraft-y things.

Wise Child (1987) and Juniper (1992), by Monica Furlong, are druid-y,
wicca-y sorts of tales set in a fictional past.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn