Fancying characters

mecha godscylla mechagodscylla at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:19:31 EST 2003

Kyra:
>You know, all you people suck.
>
>Yeah.

LOL!  I enjoyed your glowing appreciation of Navis a lot. You really made me
see what you appreciate in his character, in both senses. I will keep an eye
out for any wandering Navis and do my utmost to drive him toward you for
lassoing.

My husband isn't a Navis or a Faramir. :)

When we were dating, of course he had to read all DWJs (as I had to read
everything by Jack Vance).  He read to a certain part in Homeward Bounders
and came to me with an odd look on his face.  He was really unsettled, in a
sort of contradictory pleased/unpleased, bashful way.  This is because he is
Adam in Homeward Bounders, or rather - at the same age, he was Adam in
Homeward Bounders.  His war game collection is huge. He played them with
buddies for hour upon hour.  He has a red-headed sister - and he completely
identified with the speculative greed in Adam's adolescent mind when he
entertained the fabulous sums he might make for selling his sister to
Konstam.  Not that my husband's sister would ever allow such a scheme, which
would clearly be doomed to failure for reasons including, but not limited
to, her black belt (but isn't that perfect for demon fighting, anyway?).
But he also reminds me of Sirius in his straightforward warmth and
affection, and of Loki since he's quite mischevious.  I wouldn't trade him!

But - Sirius deserves a mention, even if he is all for Kathleen, eh?
Doesn't it cheeve everyone that such a warmly affectionate character would
waste his time on that nasty Companion??

I can't think why no one else has mentioned Abdullah!  But only consider -
he is humble but does not unwarrantedly think ill of himself.  He is
quick-witted - as when he begs the sultan to slay him instantly, because he
knows the sultan cannot do so, because of the prophecy concerning his
daughter.  He uses his brain to think things through and then executes his
plan in a straightforward way (no matter how many detours or thrust upon
him).  He has an excellent eye for quality and knows how to appreciate
things and people, for themselves as well as for how to get around their
obstructions to achieve his own objectives.  Moreover, it's a scream when he
flatters the carpet and tries to finesse the genie.  And I love it when he
throws a spin on the situation, encouraging people to see it in a slightly
different and more positive, ahem, way.

How many people or characters could live through having to actually *live*
their daydreams and fantasies?  Uncomfortable on many levels as that may be,
he was a pretty good sport about it.  And he had the virtue of taking the
knocks and accepting them - probably because of his humility.  Accurate
perception and being able to make use of it - nice!  Of course, as a couple,
he and Flower are a delight and I'd love to, say, have them as co-workers
because it's a joy to work with people who know how to get things done.

Elise