dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #734

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Nov 6 11:12:03 EST 2003

Oh, it's _very_ definitely Kims in Korea (since most of the Koreans in my
area were fairly devout Christians, there was something like one Grace Kim
per year).  I can remember reading an article about how Korea has a
kinship system in which you aren't supposed to marry someone from your own
clan, and clans are, of course, organized through the surname-equivalent
(which comes first in Korean, like in Japanese, e.g. "Kim Jong Il").
However, approximately 70% of people in Korea now belong to the Kim clan,
so this causes serious problems.  It impressed me at the time as a rather
disturbing societal ill.

					---Kyra

---
"I like it when that lightning comes!  Hey hey hey!!!  Yes, I like it a
lot!"
			---Robert Smith (The Cure), "Hot Hot Hot!!!"