Elite[s] and elitists, Cooper and Others

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Nov 6 10:15:50 EST 2003

> Speaking as a teacher who seems to have a couple guys of these type in my
> class at the moment (why are they more often male?), I have to say that it
> is very frustrating from the other end. When you have someone who is
> bright, and who participates in class, but hands in work that is sloppy and
> shows clear signs of being a rush job at the last minute, it does tend to
> inspire sarcastic comments about underachievement.

Yeah, my high school teachers kept me out of the National Honor Society
for that reason. (It embarrassed them when I turned out to be the only
National Merit Finalist in my year.) *shrug* I slacked on the grammar
homework and turned in 40-page compositions that I had copied over in the
previous classes. Some of my teachers were sarcastic... but then they had
to put up with me making sotto voce comments on the material.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn