bits of dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #734

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Nov 6 04:26:27 EST 2003

But in
> Oz isn't the term 'black' already applied to aborigines (if they're still
> called aborigines)? This could get terribly confusing if you wanted to
> distinguish them from more recent black immigrants.

We call them Aboriginals, Aboriginal Australians or Indigenous People. They
refer to themselves as "Aboriginal People" I think... and refer to "my
people". This always puzzles me considerably when they are clearly of mixed
race. My daughter's sig-oth is (I think) 1/8 Aboriginal, which makes him
olive skinned with brown eyes. He is, technically (and legally), Aboriginal,
but I'm not sure what the legal position is on his other 7/8! He doesn't,
however, speak of "my people", so I assume he thinks of himself as being Oz
rather than any specific breed of Oz.

Sallyo.