bits of dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #734

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Nov 6 04:31:02 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:29:19AM -0500, deborah wrote:

>Someone once told me that _Black Maria_ was renamed here for racial
>reasons, but I have much more faith in the notion that it was renamed
>here because Americans don't have black maria taxicabs, and we wouldn't
>know what one was if it ran over our collective foot.

Erm... there's no such thing as a black maria taxicab. The Black Maria
was a police vehicle used for transporting prisoners. (Which Katherine
Kurtz got impressively wrong in _The Adept_ series, where Our Hero's
Friend is favourably impressed by Our Hero arriving in a Black Maria...)
Oh, they haven't been used for a good few years.

Roger