dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #737

Sarah sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz
Wed Nov 5 23:36:09 EST 2003

> I don't find many of DWJ's characters fanciable, I must say. But I
> think
> there is something about Thomas Lynn, and the Young One in Spellcoats.
>
> Robyn

Because there's something about musicians? *^.^*
I wonder if any Singers had groupies.

>> I assume that the dogs, at least, were actually dalmatians and not,
>> say,
>> beagles  or golden labradors because they are so cute?
>
> They weren't dogs at all, they were a few cats, taped together.
>
> Robyn

I remember Brent Spiner once claiming that Spot in 'Star Trek: the Next
Generation' wasn't in fact a cat, but 'a very tiny dog' that was a good
actor.
You never know what these smooth Hollywood types will try to slip past
you.

> lizzie:

> - -Howl.  He goes up pretty high, here.  I can totally understand
> fancying
> him.  I even do, in a sort of intellectual way.  But I think that I
> still
> have an emotional barrier about him because I feel so angry on Sophie's
> behalf about the way that he concealed so much from her.  Or something
> -
> he seems to be my type, but I don't fancy him.
>
> That makes sense. . . for me, it's more like I like him _with_ Sophie
> so much
> that I find it hard to fancy him more than academically.

After all, it's uncomfortable to feel like a homewrecker in your crush.

> See, I like him best in LoCC.  In Charmed Life he bothers me because
> he's so
> annoyingly powerful--I get mad at how little he tells Cat and Janet,
> and what
> he puts them through.  Plus he's married x_x.  In LoCC, I looove him,
> because
> he's still confused enough to be a bit of an underdog, and because I
> feel like
> I have a lot in common with him (mostly the being confused by Flavian
> not
> liking him bit--that always makes me cringe a bit and be nicer to
> everyone
> around me).  In Charmed Life he just knows too much for me to really
> fancy
> him. . . I can't wait to see what he's like in the next book.

There's going to be another Chrestomanci book? Goody gumdrops! I was
afraid she had set those worlds aside.
I detect a tendency to resent magicians who keep secrets. C'mon, a
magician *has* to keep secrets...

> I would love to see Awful, older, turn up in another book--I feel like
> we got a
> lot of ideas as to what her life would be from the way she looked as
> she grew
> up towards the end of Archer's Goon (and it was very perceptive of
> Howard to be
> able to tell so much about her ;), and it's largely from his
> perceptions of her
> as she aged that I _identify_ with her, but I think the bit that made
> me just
> plain like her a lot was when we found out that she called herself
> Awful.

I like the fact that she enjoys being mistaken for a boy. I more or
less automatically imagine animated versions of most stories I enjoy,
so now I mentally see Awful drawn in a very similar mode (although with
a different personality, of course) to that of Ed in 'Cowboy Bebop.'
She'd have to wear more clothes than Ed, too; you can't go around in a
teeshirt, bike shorts and bare feet every day in England.

> I also somewhat fancy Mordion, from Hexwood, despite ALL THOSE ISSUES.
> . . but
> I've always had a thing for assasins. . .

Aargh, no, monobrow!
Sorry. Deep-seated anti-monobrow prejudice. Probably stems from Bert in
'Sesame Street.'

> The thing about Jonathan Rhys Myers is that I keep trying to visualize
> him as
> Howl, and then overlaying him in _Velvet Goldmine_ in my head. . . so
> that the
> different suits that Howl wears become bedecked with glitter and
> spangles. . .

One feels that Howl would enjoy that, too.
Or perhaps raiding the wardrobe of the Goblin King from 'Labyrinth.'

> I like that we're all picking wickedly skinny men for Howl, though ;)
>
> and--my big thing about casting the Howl movie?  James Earl Jones can
> NOT
> provide the voice for Calcifer.

Oh good God, who would even THINK of that? (runs up a tree in fright)
Ooh, lemons!

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:17:58 -0700
> From: Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>
> Subject: Re: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #736
>
> Sarah wrote:
>
>> What people erroneously remember is often more memorable than what was
>> really said.
>> And things that look like things often look more like things than
>> things; well-known fact.
>
> Particularly to Granny Weatherwax.

One of my major role models. Though I tend to lean more to Nanny Oggism.

E you later,
Déesse
(the artist formerly known as Sarah-neko)

http://www.airandangels.com/
Air and Angels Anime Shrines