OT: L. M. Montgomery

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 5 19:35:23 EST 2003

>I thought it was a little too much to make Jarback both physically
>disfigured and emotionally unstable.  It seemed like everyone thought he was
>weird not because of who he was, but because he was all crookedy, and they
>were making up stuff about how awful the family was to justify being
>prejudiced about his disfigurement.  It turned out not to be the case, but I
>could never quite get past that first impression.

I always thought of him as one of those people who tries to seem weird just
to impress people, or make them think he is interesting and mysterious. He
seemed like someone who was trying to make things more difficult by acting
peculiar. I thought his burning of Emily's book was totally in character
with this, because he is, essentially, very selfish. He uses his disability
as an excuse for being selfish - kind of like the way Nick uses saying he
is selfish as a way not apologise for it.

Robyn