Elite[s] and elitists, Cooper and Others

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 5 19:03:13 EST 2003

>>Personally I do think that doing well on that sort of test means
>>something. It implies one particular *sort* of quick-wittedness (what a
>>teacher of mind called "having a fast-twitch mind"), and I like that sort
>>and think it's well worth having.
>
>I kind of enjoy it.  I'm good at crossword puzzles, too, and I
>have one of the largest collections of miscellaneous information
>of anybody I know, all fairly well organized.  So it's fun, but
>one can get very tired of being called an underachiever.  Some
>of us are bright, but were never very interested in achieving.

Speaking as a teacher who seems to have a couple guys of these type in my
class at the moment (why are they more often male?), I have to say that it
is very frustrating from the other end. When you have someone who is
bright, and who participates in class, but hands in work that is sloppy and
shows clear signs of being a rush job at the last minute, it does tend to
inspire sarcastic comments about underachievement.

Robyn