dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #736

Sarah sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz
Wed Nov 5 18:14:37 EST 2003

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:33:26 -0700
> From: Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>
> Subject: Re: Nig-nog, and insults
>
> Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> We've just been watching _Treasure of the Sierra Madre_
> and I was interested to discover that the line "we don't
> need no stinking badges" is apocryphal, like "play it
> again, Sam" [Which Sally did NOT say.  She got it right.].
>
> Interesting, these famous quotes ....

What people erroneously remember is often more memorable than what was
really said.
And things that look like things often look more like things than
things; well-known fact.
But, er, yes, often when I've revisited the source of what I remember
as a really nifty line I find that it is not in quite the words I'd
remembered and I don't like it as much.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:29:32 -0700
> From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
> Subject: Re: Fancying characters
>
> The only one I could fall for is Mordion.  I like others, but we
> wouldn't be
> a good match--I'd hate Howl always slithering out and Rupert's
> prattishness
> would inspire me to mulishness.  Torquil's too flamboyant; it would
> never
> last.  I don't think Mitt would like *me* very much.
>
> And I still don't identify with any of the female characters....

Thinking this over has made me realise that I don't have much of a
crush on any DWJ character I can think of. There are many of them that
I would like to know as friends, but that's quite a different kettle of
fish. None of 'em makes me go 'phwoar.' Perhaps I have wasted all my
crush energy on anime characters.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:57:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
> Subject: Re: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #735
>
>> I want to say 'I fancy Chrestomanci' purely for the sake of the rhyme.
>> This is probably a character flaw.
>
> Oh, but I adore Chrestomanci...

I admit I do have some affection for dandies. Since both Chrestomanci
and Howl manage to be dandies but to have substance as well, perhaps
that's what I like about them, since what tends to put me off dandies
in real life is a certain vapidity to which they appear prone. I went
out with one for a while but got utterly fed up with him.
And Kyra mentions Navis, and I quite agree with a lot of her reasons
(especially the eyebrow) - but the feeling is lukewarm. That's my
problem, I'm lukewarm about all these people. And not eight days of
lukewarm either.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:55:30 -0000
> From: "Charles Butler" <hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: spotty dogs
>
> How different from the live-action sequel with Angelica Huston, which
> had
> skunks, chipmunks and racoons running around as (supposedly) native
> East
> Anglian beasts. Surely someone, somewhere in the production process,
> must
> have protested? Someone must have noticed a decided lack of these
> animals in
> the English countryside? O tempora! O Johnny Morris!

Um, that was Glenn Close, I think, not Anjelica Huston. But it was
awful anyway. They did Cruella up as a shoulderpadded 80s fashion
monster. Cruella ought to be essence of Art Deco! Where was her
absolutely simple white fur cape?
No points for Disney's animators either. She should have been
beautiful, but repellent in her beauty - like the wicked queen in 'Snow
White.'

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:26:23 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #734
>
> - --- Sarah <sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> (about Mount Buggery)
> I refused to believe that this existed without
> checking, but it does, in the Victorian alps, there is
> a photo here
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/jemrichards/crosscut_1102/image3.html

Of course it exists!
It's Mount MacTwattybollocks that doesn't exist... except in the
fertile imaginations of Reeves and Mortimer.
I am usually pretty reliable on outlandish placenames - I collect them
with some avidity. Some are in disguise. The Grand Tetons range in the
US would raise eyebrows if the English translation were more widely
known: 'Big Titties.'

> As well as Mt Despair there is also a Mt Speculation
> nearby,

'I wonder if that gloomy-looking fellow is up for a spot of buggery?'

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:33:37 +0000
> From: minnow at belfry.org.uk
> Subject: Re: spotty dogs
>> (snipped Charlie on 101 Dalmatians)
>
> I assume that the dogs, at least, were actually dalmatians and not,
> say,
> beagles  or golden labradors because they are so cute?

They used what looked like proper Dalmatians, so set your mind at rest
on that count... this film also seems to have given rise to the curious
notion on the part of Hollywood casting agents that Hugh Laurie is a
children's movie man.

E you later,
Déesse
(the artist formerly known as Sarah-neko)

http://www.airandangels.com/
Air and Angels Anime Shrines