Mister Monday (was Re: More recent reads)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 18:12:47 EST 2003

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
>> This is true, and for a teacher it would be
> unthinkable, but a teacher would
> also be more likely to have access to the student's
> actual medication (can
> you imagine the nurse handing out someone else's
> pills on the sayso of a
> kid?)  But in this case, what I'm bothered by is
> that the student in
> question was treated as though she had committed a
> serious crime on the
> level of dealing drugs, especially since no harm
> came of it.  A lecture on
> the dangers of sharing one's medication would have
> been more appropriate;
> most students don't realize why it's such a bad
> idea.  But what really
> matters is ensuring that kids have immediate access
> to their medication and
> that teachers know enough about their students'
> health problems to take the
> right action in an emergency.  Unfortunately this is
> just one more burden
> for teachers to bear.

I agree that discipling a child for a drug offense is
way OTT in the circumstances, and realy quite
indefensible.
Unfortunately it is impossible for teachers to know
off hand the medical circumstances of every child in
their care. The list in my school contains some 300
names (out of 900 students), many of these are for
minor issues that are never going to cause concern
(the child's parent simply felt they had to fill in
every space on the child's enrollment form) while some
children with serious medical conditions are not on
the list as the parent for various resons did not
include it on the enrollment form. What really
astounded me was the large number of students who had
problems with custard filled pastries, until I worked
out that "beesting" probably meant "bee sting"

Jon