Mister Monday (was Re: More recent reads)

Wed Nov 5 17:43:46 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:45:28 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble wrote:

>--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
>> I thought the point was that this particular teacher
>> was a jerk and was
>> accustomed to children making up excuses to get out
>> of gym.
>Yes, well, for reasons of professional solidarity I
>wasn't going to say that all PE teachers are evil
>sadists.

Isn't sadism a requirement or something?  :)

>know of one
>> case where a child was severely disciplined for
>> sharing hers with a fellow
>> student who might otherwise have died.
>
>There are cases where using the wrong kind of asthma
>mediciation can be more dangerous than giving none at
>all, my daughter is a case in point. As part of our
>first aid training we are told never to give a child
>mediciation intended for someone else.

This is true, and for a teacher it would be unthinkable, but a teacher would
also be more likely to have access to the student's actual medication (can
you imagine the nurse handing out someone else's pills on the sayso of a
kid?)  But in this case, what I'm bothered by is that the student in
question was treated as though she had committed a serious crime on the
level of dealing drugs, especially since no harm came of it.  A lecture on
the dangers of sharing one's medication would have been more appropriate;
most students don't realize why it's such a bad idea.  But what really
matters is ensuring that kids have immediate access to their medication and
that teachers know enough about their students' health problems to take the
right action in an emergency.  Unfortunately this is just one more burden
for teachers to bear.

Melissa Proffitt