OT: L. M. Montgomery

Wed Nov 5 17:34:05 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:47:24 -0500 (EST), Laurie Puszczewicz wrote:

>>since I'd started out liking her very much. By the end of 'Emily's
>>Quest' I was only finishing the book so I would have got it out of the
>>way. (But then, I would have married Jarback; I guess you have to make
>>allowances for taste.)
>
>Would you really?  I agree that he is *far* more interesting than Teddy
>(no way I would have married him), and he would make a great friend, but
>he was too creepy and controlling to make a good husband.  Look at the way
>he got her to burn her book just because he was jealous of the time she
>spent writing, or the way he decided he would marry her someday when she
>was what, eleven?  But, to each her own :)

I thought it was a little too much to make Jarback both physically
disfigured and emotionally unstable.  It seemed like everyone thought he was
weird not because of who he was, but because he was all crookedy, and they
were making up stuff about how awful the family was to justify being
prejudiced about his disfigurement.  It turned out not to be the case, but I
could never quite get past that first impression.

I would never have married Teddy either.  Too bland and then too
conventionally handsome.  I liked her other friend better and liked how
vibrant his romance was, too.

Melissa Proffitt