dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #734

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 17:26:23 EST 2003

--- Sarah <sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz> wrote:

> Which I always think is one of the prettier of the
> world's placenames.
> Certainly compared with placenames like the prize
> Australian duo of
> Mount Buggery and Mount Despair.
> One wonders which came first. Despair *because* of
> buggery... or
> despair alleviated by buggery?

I refused to believe that this existed without
checking, but it does, in the Victorian alps, there is
a photo here

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jemrichards/crosscut_1102/image3.html

As well as Mt Despair there is also a Mt Speculation
nearby, and an area called The Terrible Hollow - ahh
bushwalker's names can be very evocative and it is
just wonderful when they become official. there is
even a book about the area called "The road to Mount
Buggery". And just for variety there is also a Mount
Buggary in Australia in the Blue Mountains of NSW. So
if someone uses the expression "go to buggery" you
will have to ask them how they spell it.

Jon