Elite[s] and elitists, Cooper and Others

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 06:54:26 EST 2003

Sallyo wrote:

>I suppose rewarding people for acting according to their nature is as stupid
>as punishing them for doing the same thing. Which is truly scary, since by
>chasing up that idea we could argue against ever putting criminals in
>gaol...

I was once in a queue behind two women who were discussing a recent case in
a court of law, in which a man who had been released from prison after
serving a sentence for physically maltreating a child in his care (his own
son, I think it was) had taken up with a woman who had children and so
maltreated one of them that it had died.  He was I think charged with
murder rather than manslaughter.  One said how awful it was that nobody had
checked up on his treatment of his new family, given his record; the other
replied, "Well, of course, he can't help it, poor man; after all, he is a
sadist."

Truly scary, as you say.

Minnow