Elite[s] and elitists, Cooper and Others

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 04:26:42 EST 2003

Robyn:
> The reason I was so outraged about Gould is that these people all live
> practically within spitting distance of the Burgess Shale. Most of them
> have seen it, been on it, or been past it. Since Gould is the man
> responsible for its popularisation, I found it outrageous that they hadn't
> heard of him.

I love the idea of pre-Cambrian life forms suddenly being popular - just
shows it's never too late for a comeback! But *Wonderful Life* is a great
book, to be sure. And not without literary influence: at least, I have a
theory that it's one of the key texts lying aback of Penelope Lively's book
*Cleopatra's Sister*. (ObDWJ - Lively and DWJ overlapped at St Anne's
College.)

Charlie