dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #733

Sarah sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz
Tue Nov 4 22:59:27 EST 2003

> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:48:53 +1100
> From: "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au>
> Subject: Re: howl casting (was RE: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1
> #729)
>
> Guy Pearce could do it, perhaps. He's got the bony face and can act
> both
> sides of the coin. He's not pretty...

*is happy at the thought of Guy Pearce*

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:03:49 +1100
> From: "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au>
> Subject: Re: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #731
>
> - ----- > age, rather than 'quite old really, well into his twenties.'
> Indeed,
>> the whole 'snitty teenager' air he had made me think of the
>> 15-year-old
>> version of Allen Schezar in 'The Vision of Escaflowne.'
>

> "Snitty". What a wonderful world! We use "Snarky" and "snitchy", and I
> believe the USAers use "snippy", but I'd never heard of "snitty"
> before. May
> I have it?

Help yourself! I'm pretty sure the Americans use 'snit' to mean a state
of mind that's a sort of annoyed sulk, as in 'I told her no and she
went off in a snit.' So 'snitty' is a sort of sullen irritability,
easily roused to ire: a state recognisable to anyone who knows a
teenager. And yet I don't think it's an Americanism; I'm not sure where
in the world it's most used. (scratches head) Oh well. Still a good
word.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:04:28 +1100
> From: "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au>
> Subject: Re: OT: L. M. Montgomery
>
>> was what, eleven?  But, to each her own :)  Howl has his own issues,
>> but I
>> still love him :) (OBDWJ)
>>

> Well, we all love Howl... those who are aligned that way, anyway. Any
> of you
> men out there fancy Sophie?
>
> Seriously, which *female* DJW would you happily collect in another
> life?

I'd like a nice sensible resilient girl like Janet or the Goddess
Millie.

> Sallyo (still puzzled. My real-life man is a stocky, balding Aus in
> his 40s
> and is perfectly satisfactory... so how can I contemplate a Welsh lad
> young
> enough to be my son???)

It's because he's wearing that charmed red and grey suit. Take it off,
you fool.
Howl: That will only make matters worse! I won't be responsible for a
riot.

> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:08:16 +1100
> From: "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au>
> Subject: Re: OT: L M Montgomery
>
> by the sense that I would have been Diana instead.  (I had a
>> friend who was CLEARLY an Anne, so
>
> Has anyone else ever read a Georgette Heyer book and suddenly realised
> that
> she would have been the bucolic farmer's daughter or maid and *not* the
> heroine? Or, should you be male, that you would have been a footman or
> bucolic farmer's boy, and *not* Heyer-hero #1 or #2?

I've *never* read a Georgette Heyer book but I know without a doubt
that I am more a sidekick or supporting character than a hero.
You just have to hope you're not the sidekick or supporting character
whose tragic death motivates the hero to Do the Right Thing.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:39:08 -0500 (EST)
> From: deborah <deborah at suberic.net>
> Subject: Re: howl casting (was RE: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1
> #729)
>
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> |Guy Pearce could do it, perhaps. He's got the bony face and can act
> both
> |sides of the coin. He's not pretty...
>
> He's *super* pretty in Priscilla.  He's the shirtless one on the roof
> of
> the bus, isn't he?
>
> I'm not sure Howl should be that built.  Romanov, maybe.

Guy Pearce is fairly wiry. I'm not too sure what shape I think Howl is,
precisely, but he can't be too sylph-like or he wouldn't have been able
to play rugby.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:50:30 +1100
> From: "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au>
> Subject: Re: howl casting (was RE: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1
> #729)
>
>> |Guy Pearce could do it, perhaps. He's got the bony face and can act
>> both
>> |sides of the coin. He's not pretty...
>>
>> He's *super* pretty in Priscilla.  He's the shirtless one on the roof
>> of
>> the bus, isn't he?
>>
>> I'm not sure Howl should be that built.  Romanov, maybe.
>
> Have you seen him lately? He's lost weight and looks positively gaunt.
> In
> The Time Machine he's cadaverous.. he's a brilliant actor. Played a
> nasty
> little turkeycock in Count of Monte Christo, a hurting lover/hero in
> The
> Time Machine and a bespectacled nerd in LA Confidential. Also a nutter
> in
> Memento. He's a proper little chameleon. But not pretty. <g>

He's got a sort of raw-boned look to him, and a very rubbery mouth.
That makes it sound as if I were not at all fond of him... far from the
truth. Of course, it's questionable whether we want anyone
*super*pretty to be Howl, since Calcifer describes him as 'a plain man
with mud-coloured hair,' suggesting that a lot of his attractiveness
comes from charm and knowing how to look his best than from natural
beauty.
E you later,
Déesse
(the artist formerly known as Sarah-neko)

http://www.airandangels.com/
Air and Angels Anime Shrines