Read lately - and stuff

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 4 20:56:32 EST 2003

>_The Wizard Hunters_ (the recent one) isn't as impenetrable later in the
>book; I think Wells is doing it on purpose near the beginning.
>_Necromancer_ is pretty much the same all the way through.  My difficulty
>with it was that my perceptions of what the plot was *supposed* to be (as
>revealed by the text) didn't match up to what I *felt* it was doing (based
>on the varying emphases given to events).  The style may have had something
>to do with it.  I'm sure I'll re-read it some day and figure it out.

I tried a bit more yesterday, and although this isn't the whole problem, I
started to be really bothered by the number of basic sentence structure
errors in the first chapters of Wizard Hunters (fragments and missing
commas with co-ordinating conjunctions). Since I am marking heaps of essays
at the moment, I decided I was sensitised, so I have put the book away, and
am re-reading Baudolino instead.

Robyn