dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #731

Sarah sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz
Tue Nov 4 16:41:50 EST 2003

> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:41:57 +1000
> From: "Kathleen Jennings" <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>
> Subject: Re: BBC Narnia movies
>
> We're going to see the stage-play of The Lion, The Witch and the
> Wardrobe in
> three weeks time! Have heard good things about it.

It may be relevant to mention that a new series of Narnia movies are
planned to be made in New Zealand in the near future. I think that Kiwi
fellow with the long blond hair who co-directed 'Shrek' will be in
charge, Andrew someone. However at the moment there is some fuss about
how the crew should be hired (resulting from precedents established on
'Lord of the Rings') which is preventing a clear green light being
seen. The government of New Zealand is simultaneously extremely keen to
get international movie projects into our country, and reluctant to
appear to bend over backwards to accommodate the foreign backers. Or
something. I don't really understand their thought processes on this.
Meanwhile the foreign investors naturally want to do things on the
cheap, seeing this as one of the advantages of the location, but New
Zealand crews are starting to raise their expectations of pay. At the
moment we are playing host to Burt Reynolds, Seth Green and Matthew
Lillard as they make the 'Deliverance' spoof 'Without a Paddle.' The
production company has hired rooms in a Wellington building owned by my
father's company as their hospitality suite, so every time he gets sent
to Wellington on business he is in a lather of excitement about
possibly riding in the same elevator as Seth Green.

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:09:55 +1100
> From: "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au>
> Subject: Re: Self-introduction
>
>> I would love Howl to be live action. I'm only very new to anime. I did
> like
>> Spirited Away, though it took some getting used to. I have a funny
>> feeling
>> they're going to add more bizarre elements, like S.A. had. Like there
>> may
> be
>> more magical adventures along the way, or... did anyone notice that
> Michael
>> seems in the picture to be a smaller kid - and rounder?
>> I really hope they do a good job!
>
> My heart sank bootwards when I saw chicken legs on the castle. This is
> NOT
> Baba Yaga! I don;t mind animation for stories that are conceived that
> way
> (how could I, when I write for animation series?) but it almost always
> tends
> to the "cute". I despise cute. BTW, I didn't mind Shrek so much... the
> princess looked fairly un-cute. Prob because she was drawn from a real
> person.

Such pictures as I've seen of the movie castle strike me as more
grotesque-industrial-Victorian-steampunk than, well, fairy-tale or
cute. It sounds as if maybe you guys have had access to some pictures I
haven't, though, as I can't recall seeing any illustrations of Michael.
Miyazaki's drawing style does tend to make characters appear younger, I
think; his sketches of Howl that I've seen make him look more Sophie's
age, rather than 'quite old really, well into his twenties.' Indeed,
the whole 'snitty teenager' air he had made me think of the 15-year-old
version of Allen Schezar in 'The Vision of Escaflowne.'

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:44:19 -0000
> From: "Rowland, Jennifer A B" <jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk>
> Subject: RE: dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #729
>
> Sarah wrote:
>> How would you cast your ideal Howl movie, though? *^.^* All
>> the pretty men in Hollywood willing to dye their hair blond
>> are now queuing up for your consideration.
>> James Marsters: I did mine already, and I have a bony, sophisticated
>> face: do I get bonus points?
>
> "Yes, but they get knocked off at the mere *thought* of you trying to
> do a Welsh accent." <g>
> Jennifer

*^.^* It's a funny thing, but I have never really imagined Howl
*sounding* Welsh (except when drunk). I always think he would be the
type to conscientiously lose his accent in the process of higher
education (he does mention doing his doctoral thesis on spells and
charms - I have never been sure whether this would be true or a
plausible excuse for Miss Angorian's benefit. But someone who fibs and
slithers out as much as Howl would probably know that the most
convincing excuses and the ones easiest to keep consistent under
cross-examination are the ones with some basis in truth. So, assuming
he had the stamina to complete the degree, I like to think of him as
*Dr* Howell Jenkins. Close parenthesis!). Perhaps simply because a more
'educated English' type of accent is so well suited to being
supercilious in, and Howl does like to be supercilious. Also because he
so much enjoys  false names and disguises and reinventing his own
image. Choosing an accent might be almost like accessorising.
'Right, the blue and silver suit, the verbena cologne, my silver
death's-head cufflinks, and today my voice is from Edinburgh!'
E you later,
Déesse
(the artist formerly known as Sarah-neko)

http://www.airandangels.com/
Air and Angels Anime Shrines