Read lately - and stuff

Tue Nov 4 12:22:22 EST 2003

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:28:31 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>At the suggestion of the list, I have read some Martha Wells. Actually, I
>have read Wheel of the Infinite and enjoyed it immensely. However, I am
>stuck in the first 30 pages of both Death of a Necromancer, and the more
>recent one (it's downstairs, and it's cold down there, so I can't type the
>title). So I need some advice, will I enjoy them if I persist? I am not
>quite sure what I don't like; I think it is a stylistic thing, because I
>keep finding myself in the middle of a paragraph and not understanding what
>is going on.

_Necromancer_ is my least favorite of her books, but that was on an overall
reading rather than the first little bit.  If it is a style issue, as
Jennifer says that doesn't change much, so give it just a bit to see if you
can get used to it.  If not...I'd say look for _City of Bones_ instead.

_The Wizard Hunters_ (the recent one) isn't as impenetrable later in the
book; I think Wells is doing it on purpose near the beginning.
_Necromancer_ is pretty much the same all the way through.  My difficulty
with it was that my perceptions of what the plot was *supposed* to be (as
revealed by the text) didn't match up to what I *felt* it was doing (based
on the varying emphases given to events).  The style may have had something
to do with it.  I'm sure I'll re-read it some day and figure it out.

But I'll probably re-read _Wheel_ first.  That book was yummy.

Melissa Proffitt