On adapting books

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Nov 4 11:40:34 EST 2003

Ian W. Riddell wrote [and I snipped a lot]:

> My list of "good" adaptations (i.e., good movies made from good books
> which actually capture something that the book was trying to do, IMHO)
> includes the above two and:

> The original, animated, TV version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
>
> My list of appalling adaptations:
>
> David Lynch's adaptation of "Dune" (despite the casting of Patrick Stewart)
> Ron Howard's "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
>
> In fact those two movies top my "worst movies of all time" list. I
> actually wept while watching Grinch. Of course you have to understand
> that I believe the book to be one of the greatest books ever written and
> that the cartoon is an annual Christmas tradition in my household.

I have not been tempted to watch Ron Howard's Grinch.  Like you,
I believe the book to be one of the greatest books ever written
[I think I got it as a gift the year it came out] and the cartoon
is an annual tradition.

[I disagree on the LOTR.  I just saw 'Towers' and I was much more
  upset than by 'Fellowship'.  My chief gripes were with what was
  done to Faramir's character and with the Ents being tricked into
  going to war.  I didn't like the way the Ents looked, either, but
  I might have been able to survive that ....  Anyway, if we get into
  all my gripes, we'll be here all day and bored into the bargain.]

[I think the 'Dune' movie was terrible as an adaptation, but I have
  a depraved weakness for it anyway.]