Read lately - and stuff

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Nov 4 08:32:55 EST 2003

Robyn:

>At the suggestion of the list, I have read some Martha Wells.
>Actually, I have read Wheel of the Infinite and enjoyed it
>immensely. However, I am stuck in the first 30 pages of both Death
>of a Necromancer, and the more recent one (it's downstairs, and it's
>cold down there, so I can't type the title). So I need some advice,
>will I enjoy them if I persist? I am not quite sure what I don't
>like; I think it is a stylistic thing, because I keep finding myself
>in the middle of a paragraph and not understanding what is going on.

One of the original recommenders, so I'm not too objective about
this!  I read Death of the Necromancer before WotI, and really liked
it a lot, but I've loved all her others, rather than just liking them
(except for the ending of City of Bones, which is another story).  I
tried rereading Necromancer when I had the flu, and simply couldn't
do it, though I really wanted to, so I can understand finding it
somewhat of a slog.  But the Wizard Hunters didn't strike me that way
at all, so if you're finding that one tough going, my advice (to
persist, but Necromancer first) is probably worthless.

Hallie.