(Mr Monday) More recent reads

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Nov 4 08:15:47 EST 2003

Jon:

>  > Minor spoiler:

>>  The thing that annoyed me was the way Arthur's
>>  originally-going-to-happen death was set up.  The
>>  kid had such severe
>>  asthma that he'd been hospitalised for it, was just
>>  out of hospital,
>>  was starting at what *seemed* to be a rather snooty,
>>  exclusive school
>>  (ok, this might just be my impression, but think of
>>  the
>>  neighbourhood, and the library, and so on) his
>>  mother was a
>>  super-important medical researcher, and nobody at
>>  the school was
>>  aware that he had this medical problem and needed
>>  NOT to be packed
>  > off on a cross-country run?

>As a teacher this didn't strike me as all that
>unrealistic. That fact that the school may have been
>informed of a students asthma doesn't mean that this
>information filters through to all the classroom
>teachers. It may have been mentioned as part of a long
>list at a staff meeting but if the PE teacher
>concerned missed the meeting (or wasn't paying
>attention because at the time he didn't have that
>student) he may not have been aware of the seriousness
>of the condition. It is even possible that privacy
>requirements prevent the staff from knowing of it.
>(I'm not kidding here - this can happen although it is
>usually not for physical conditions but mental ones).

Interesting.  Maybe this is another cultural difference, as it
certainly felt unrealistic to me as a parent in Ireland.   I ran it
by Becca and she also found it totally unbelievable as a student.
But here, that kind of school would *inevitably* be fee-paying, and
most likely, as a school he was starting at 11, would be a primary
school too.  Meaning small.  The kind of place where your getting
lost in the shuffle example just wouldn't happen, especially to a new
kid with famous parents, starting school late (school would have to
have been informed) because of illness.  Not to mention the fact that
no P.E. teacher we've ever heard of would send a new kid out in his
school uniform on a cross-country run!  Those suckers are expensive!!
(The uniforms, not the kids.  Though a death through negligence would
probably run expensive too.)

Like a lot of others here, I think a straight-out Australian setting
would have been a lot better than the generic, place it where you
want to type.

Hallie.