More recent reads

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Nov 4 07:51:10 EST 2003

Jennifer:

>(delurking)
>
>My husband and I just read _The Amulet of Samarkand_ and were pretty
>darn impressed. Both of us thought that it was much, much, much
>better than the also-hyped and very vaguely similar (to me) Artemis
>Fowl. We're both looking forward to the sequels of Stroud's book
>(even though the cover & presentation at the bookstore where we
>picked it up made me think we were lucky that a free "your *very
>own* Amulet" wasn't included with each purchase).

LOL.  No doubt there'll be plenty of  'Win a Trip to Samarkand'
competitions when the film comes out!   It seemed to me that the hype
about _Artemis Fowl_ built up a little more slowly - some of it
following reader approval.  But maybe I'm just trying to defend the
local boy made good there.  I wasn't very taken with Artemis Fowl
either, FWIW.

Hallie.