Susan Cooper

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon Nov 3 22:14:27 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

|Deborah wrote:
|
|> It *is* elitist to feel
|                     ^^^^
|That's the keyword.

Yes, that is the keyword.  I don't disagree with any of your comments
about actions, but my emphasis is on long-term assessments which may or
mat not be based on actions.

|An actual elite is surely not in and of itself evil wicked bad non-PC and
|so on; it's only when it wickedly starts to think of itself as being in all
|ways superior to people who aren't part of it, and entitled to boss them
|around, that it's objectionable.

To be a Lee of Time City may well make one better/more necessary/more
responsible than one who lives in Time, but when characters are allowed
to believe that is true *as a given*, they make poor choices.  I don't
think it's PC to be aware that being a member of an elite -- if one
cares about such things -- must be maintained by constant
self-reflection.  (I also don't believe there's anything wrong with
being PC, but that's another story for another time, as Aslan would say.
;)  )

|I had no time whatever for careful
|evaluations: I was on the rear platform of a moving bus as as it came round
|a corner and I realised what was being done and might be about to happen.

Right -- the evaluations don't have to happen when you act, but later,
when you decide whether or not your actions gave you the right to hold
yourself superior in judgement or ability to those who didn't act.
Which you may well have been, but the judgement is valid, in my opinion,
unless is accompanies reflection.

Thus the generation between Adara's and Gair's rest on superior laurels
and thus, make poor choices.

|It doesn't even have the snappy charm of "cheese-eating surrender-monkey"
|as an insult.

Pizza-eating war ferret!

-deborah
--
Can the gods catch flu?  I think I may have given it to all of them.
					-- chrestomanci