Elite[s] and elitists, Cooper and others

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 21:41:41 EST 2003

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Since I am in trouble for calling my 4th year class
> a bunch of ignoramuses
> for not having heard of Stephen J Gould, I am
> currently in a bit of hot
> water for being an intellectual elitist, myself.

This reminds me of a story of my fathers, a primary
school teacher, who had a parent ask him why he called
her child a "scurvey elephant", may father was rather
taken aback as he was a very mild mannered man who
would never say such a thing, until he realised that
the child had misheard, what he had said was that the
child was a "disturbing element"

Jon (who's only claim to elitism is membership of this
list)[ and who also suspects that my father's story
was in fact apocryphal]