Read lately - and stuff

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 3 21:12:54 EST 2003

Robyn wrote:

> At the suggestion of the list, I have read some Martha Wells. Actually, I
> have read Wheel of the Infinite and enjoyed it immensely. However, I am
> stuck in the first 30 pages of both Death of a Necromancer, and the more
> recent one (it's downstairs, and it's cold down there, so I can't type the
> title). So I need some advice, will I enjoy them if I persist? I am not
> quite sure what I don't like; I think it is a stylistic thing, because I
> keep finding myself in the middle of a paragraph and not understanding
what
> is going on.

The only book I haven't read is _Wheel_. I enjoyed _City of Bones_ from the
beginning, but I had a similar experience with both _Necromancer_ and _The
Element of Fire_. I found the latter particularly hard to get into at first.
But I was really glad I persisted. In fact, I ended up enjoying _Element_
even more than _Necromancer_. For me, personally, the only problem I find
with Wells is the incredible detail that goes into the manoeverings and into
the adventures of the main characters--this is probably atypical, but I
don't enjoy too much emphasis on adventure or on detail. Like you, I found
that her style can sometimes lead to my not understanding what's going on,
or feeling that I missed out on something important along the way. For me,
the vivid characters and the interplay among them, as well as the marvellous
contexts in which they are set, make the books worthwhile.

Ros