OT A Wrinkle in Time

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 3 21:04:55 EST 2003

I wrote:

> >Thanks for this, Kale. I still have little information about what they're
> >showing here so I'm not completely sure if it's the same thing. It's
listed
> >as a 3-hour movie, not a mini-series, and Chris Potter isn't mentioned.
The
> >actors listed are Alfre Woodard, Kate Nelligan, Alison Elliott and Katie
> >Stuart. The site you pointed me to mentions three of these, so I guess it
> >*must* be the right one. It's a good sign that it won Best Feature at a
film
> >festival. But that must mean they've cut out an hour of the mini-series.
:-(

Melissa replied:

> If those are the actors listed, then that's the same one.  We saw the
> previews for it on a rented video and didn't know how the television ads
> could have escaped our attention...makes sense if it never aired in the
U.S.
> I'm reluctant to track it down now, because movies made from books I've
read
> and loved scare me.  :)

Yes, same here.

> On this topic, though, does anyone have an opinion on the Narnia movies
> produced by the BBC in the late '80s?  I've been considering checking out
> the new DVD version from the library, but I don't want to waste our time
if
> they aren't any good.

Despite my "same here", I actually enjoyed these, for the most part. Some of
the casting was wonderful--I agree with Kyla that Peter was perfect, but I
wasn't completely happy with the casting of Lucy although her acting was
wonderful. I also agree with Kyla that Aslan was often puppet-like. The
special-effects, in general, are dated and rather woeful; they were very
much made on the cheap, I think. But I liked the feel of them, and the music
score, and they stuck pretty close to the books. If you think you can put up
with the undoubted imperfections, I'd recommend you have a look at them at
least--but don't kill me if you hate them! :-)

Ros