(Mr Monday) More recent reads

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 16:48:44 EST 2003

--- Hallie O'Donovan <hallieod at indigo.ie> wrote:
> Minor spoiler:

> The thing that annoyed me was the way Arthur's
> originally-going-to-happen death was set up.  The
> kid had such severe
> asthma that he'd been hospitalised for it, was just
> out of hospital,
> was starting at what *seemed* to be a rather snooty,
> exclusive school
> (ok, this might just be my impression, but think of
> the
> neighbourhood, and the library, and so on) his
> mother was a
> super-important medical researcher, and nobody at
> the school was
> aware that he had this medical problem and needed
> NOT to be packed
> off on a cross-country run?
>
> May just be my being picky, but, seems to me the
> 'real world'
> elements of a fantasy (if there are any) should be
> done realistically
> to make it all work, and DWJ always does it better
> than this.
> Anybody else notice this or disagree?

As a teacher this didn't strike me as all that
unrealistic. That fact that the school may have been
informed of a students asthma doesn't mean that this
information filters through to all the classroom
teachers. It may have been mentioned as part of a long
list at a staff meeting but if the PE teacher
concerned missed the meeting (or wasn't paying
attention because at the time he didn't have that
student) he may not have been aware of the seriousness
of the condition. It is even possible that privacy
requirements prevent the staff from knowing of it.
(I'm not kidding here - this can happen although it is
usually not for physical conditions but mental ones).
Although it wasn't the case in Mr Monday it is also
often the case that students hide medical conditions
from teachers. Only last thursday I had a sport group
where a girl had a fairly severe asthma attack after
climbing a steep hill 1km from where she left her
puffer, despite the whole group being lectured before
hand on the importance on taking water and their
inhalers if they were asthmatic.

Jon