Read lately - and stuff

Mon Nov 3 13:04:14 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:45:15 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>I must admit that I find much of Montgomery's *other* work rather better
>than the "Anne" series; I'm deeply enamoured of the "Emily" trilogy and also
>recommend "The Blue Castle", "A Tangled Web" and "Jane of Lantern Hill", all
>of which have some impressively awful relations (sometimes I wonder about
>LMM's family!) and a lot of nice "village interaction" bits.  (Though "The
>Blue Castle" *is* a very gooey romance, too!)

I was always put off by Anne, who seemed quite perfectly perfect and
annoying, and by the sense that I would have been Diana instead.  (I had a
friend who was CLEARLY an Anne, so....)  Though as I read the rest of the
series, I realized I identified far more closely with the prickly Leslie
Moore, which was comforting.  And still I enjoy the series!  But I read the
Emily books for the first time last year, and liked them even better.
Overall they seem more...not realistic, but mundane, quotidian (to use a
fancy word I can never feel entirely comfortable with)...and that was very
appealing to me.  And that's despite the mystical aspects of the series--or,
I don't know, maybe it's the contrast that makes it work.

The other thing I discovered about the Anne books is that different volumes
gained meaning depending on what stage of my life I was in.  I never really
appreciated _Anne of Windy Poplars_ until I was engaged, and _Anne's House
of Dreams_ was my favorite book the first few years of my marriage.  By this
theory, _Anne of Ingleside_ ought to be way more interesting now, but I
haven't read it in years so can't prove the theory.

>May I request that the listmembers try to refrain from being funny for a few
>days?  I have a chest infection, and laughing makes me cough, and coughing
>hurts (feels rather as though broken glass were involved somewhere, though
>at least the little man with the pickaxe who was stabbing me at every breath
>yesterday has finally buggered off).  Thank you all so much.

I had one of those once.  Actually, I live in dread every winter that it's
going to come back.  Much sympathy to you, and I hope you recover soon.  No
promises on not being funny, though, because I think it's spontaneously
generated around here.

Melissa Proffitt